It is the simplest yet most powerful health hack I know.
I write today to remind you to see sunrise. Every day.
No excuses that it is too cold outside. The pictures I share here are just two samples of what my sunrise looks like this time of year looking West. They capture two of my Quantum rock star clients/recent boarders: Cosmo (Golden Retriever) and Tehley (Chocolate Lab). Note that they do not have to suit up because their owners took them outside in fall to receive the light signal to thicken their coats and build their resilience to cold. They are even “barepaw” – aka earthing. 🔥🔥🔥
Do I need to look directly at the east?
Ideally you face east and sky gaze with naked eyes to the brightest part of the sky. If you time it perfectly and have a clear view of the horizon facing eastward, you could sun gaze if you are so trained. I do not have this vantage point or training. In my backyard, I can barely see the sun through a wall of trees. So at dawn or sunrise I either walk eastward to my compost but if I have more time, I enjoy a walk 200 metres westward to the lake to capture its beauty and light code as I did on these two mornings. Side note I am blessed with a horizon view of sunset from that same spot – it can be glorious!
Fear not if you cannot actually see the sun – your eyes will capture all the light frequencies they need. These will set your circadian rhythm for the day in order to set you up for great sleep that night.
Can I not just look out the Window?
There may be some benefit to at least looking through a window. You will get the blue necessary. However, it will miss all the necessary red/infrared (IR) frequencies to be the correct light code. If the window is open (and even through a screen) you can get the benefits of sunrise, because light bends.
Do I bother going outside if it is Cloudy at Sunrise?
Yes!! 100% of the visible colours and Infrared will reach your eyes and skin, even through clouds. You will just need more time outside for the same effect as a clear sunny sky.
Do I need to Ground at Sunrise?
For optimal benefits – yes. This is because of the higher magnetism present in the morning. This helps you geolocate when you concurrently ground and look to the eastern sunrise (think the Sphinx). This means that inside your cells you are giving your mitochondria instructions as to where they are on the planet (GPS coordinates). It serves as another safety signal. That is what animals do with no shoes on every morning. Full disclosure: I have struggled to find winter grounding boots for snow that meet my new “barefoot” standard I have come to appreciate this year. So I am trying leather grounding shoe covers next for walking sunrises. I will also attempt to shovel a patch of ground to stand barefoot on (or in my grounding shoes if its really cold) for a couple minutes each morning.
If you don’t have the snow issue I do here, be sure to ground barefoot or in grounding shoes like I do the other 6 months of the year. Contact me if you need any resources.
How long should I watch Sunrise?
- If you are healthy: 15 mins (Maintenance dose)
- If you are healing: 30 – 60 mins (Healing Dose)
- If you are experiencing a Brain Injury/Migraines: 60 mins
If you cannot make these minimums, just be consistent each day with seeing the sun rise at sunrise for however long you have. As little as 30 secs can make a difference. If the amount of time varies, that is ok. Do not let perfect be the enemy of good enough.
7 Reasons to embrace the magic of Sunrise
- It prepares your physiology for the day
- It sets your Circadian clock for entire day
- It shifts your hormone release from pineal (melatonin) to pituitary (cortisol) gland with the first sign of blue light. As blue builds in sky, this further increases cortisol release from the Pituitary gland
- It eases you into light gently at 16oo Kelvin (unlike your Cellphone at 5700-6000 Kelvin which shocks/confuses your system)
- Blue light at sunrise prepares your body for UV light. Red and blue light together precondition skin for UVA and UVB light. Note that the more red + blue you receive at sunrise = more UVB light you will absorb in afternoon = increased Vitamin D production.
- Red light at sunrise pre-programs aromatic amino acids in the eye for UV-A light (so please keep them naked 😊) which makes your hormones and neurotransmitters. Hint – sunrise & UVA light deficiency are both implicated in Nervous system dysregulation/mental health/hormonal dysfunction.
- Sunrise delivers free natural photobiomodulation (PBM) with both red and Infrared (IR) healing wavelengths present.
10 Health Benefits of Sunrise
Watching sunrise consistently translates to the following 10 health benefits:
- Increased skin’s ability to tan (and not burn)
- Increased Vitamin D production when UVB is present with high enough UV index
- Improved immunity
- Improved cognitive performance
- Promotes deeper/restorative sleep – a happier/healthier body in all respects!
- Happier moods
- Increased dopamine production which translates to greater motivation skyrocketing productivity
- Potential improvement in your eyesight from the red light and mitochondrial function
- Improved mental health
- Improved hormonal health
And so much more!
For the Science nerds like me: Seeing the sunrise is vital for your body clock, leptin and long loop of your central retinal pathway.
We are all on our journeys of life. Our family recently experienced a profound journey of love involving a gorgeous rescue shepherd named Leo. Through his exuberant expression of life (with and without wheels), he brought us back to nature and exemplified how to dance in the rain of his slow paralysis with Degenerative Myelopathy. When I began my Quantum Biology studies, I made a commitment to never miss another sunrise. Leo was right by my side and was my accountability partner in rain, snow or shine for our daily sunrise walks. When he left us when his time came, my husband and I were not emotionally ready for another pet.
Before he left, I promised Leo I would help other dogs in need of a loving home like he did – when he left the pound and later when could not find help for the 11 months he was on wheels. So when other families have to work or travel, I now have an abundance of sunrise accountability partners in the form of dogs boarding/daysitting. I have no excuse now to miss a sunrise as their biology demands it too. I feel it is my duty to provide that opportunity when they are in my care. They continue this spiritual experience I discovered with Leo every sunrise they are with me. How does it get any better than that? 🌞
Actually, it does. Another bonus of dogsitting (or having your own dog) is they also get us quantum sampling the sun throughout the workday as they need to walk and play 😍 – the benefits of which I will save for a future blog post. Many of us in modern life have forgotten that our biology needs that too.
- See Sunrise – daily. Find an accountability partner if that helps you.
- Workshop – If healing with sunlight intrigues you, I recommend you purchase my Sunlight Protocol workshop to learn thoroughly how to use this free medicine safely. Until I have it available on my Website Shop page, email me to request a link ($40 CAD).
- Coaching Session – If you need motivation or an accountability partner, book a 1 hour Pollination session with me and I will fire you up to never miss a sunrise again!
- Podcast – Stay tuned to for my new Podcast with my exciting partner in the USA. We have an interview planned with a top expert on this fundamental healing modality. I cannot tell you more just yet, but the announcement is coming soon!
As Red Light Therapy expert, Quantum Hygienist, my friend and colleague Kelly Bento in Boston, USA likes to say…..
As always, wishing you quantum coherence and many more sunrises!.. Laura
”Disclaimer – I am not a physician. This is not considered medical advice or intended to prescribe. All health info here is for education purposes only. Please see your physician for specific personal medical advice before taking any course of action
- Effects of Dawn and Morning Blue Light on Daytime Cognitive Performance, Well-being, Cortisol and Melatonin Levels Chronobiology International, 2013; 30(8): 988–997
- The Sunlight Rx (Heathar Shephard)
- My Sunlight Protocol Workshop