Background: My research involved over the past 4 years in preparing for the workshop I facilitate on Electropollution has enlightened me to the potential dangers of our constant use of technology. I was delighted to see Wendy Mesley’s revisit of this topic specifically on cellphone use on CBC Marketplace, 24 March 2017, an episode called The Secret Inside Your Phone https://youtu.be/Wm69ik_Qdb8. She (and I) are huge proponents of respecting the Precautionary Principle with cellphones until the definitive research comes out (and we know how long it took for cigarettes!). This challenge is a practical and fun way to apply the Precautionary Principle to mitigate the health risks of some of the electro-polluting digital devices many of us have in our daily lives and to gain some other unforeseen benefits along the way. Here are the details:
Purpose: To enhance awareness, safety, health & happiness! I am hopeful you will find some or all of these: improved health through better sleep, digestion, personal connection, reduced electromagnetic radiation, improved road safety, improved awareness of our addictions to this technology and to help all of us to take back our power to “Rule Your Technology, Don’t Let it Rule You”
When: Ideally 2- 22 April 17. It’s thought that it takes 21 days to help institute the new habit. If this reaches you later, begin it when you can but 30 April is the cut-off for submissions.
“Screens” Definition: TVs, Cellphones, laptops, IPads, Tablets, etc.
- Watch CBC’s Marketplace 24 March 17 Episode: The Secret Inside Your Phone (20 mins)
- Screens Off Your Body: Keep laptops off laps ideally on a table and cellphone off your ear either by using speaker phone or an Air-Tube headset (see Challenge# 7)
- Screens Off by 9PM (Sun-Thurs Only): to avoid blue light to enhance melatonin production for quality and timing of sleep
- Screens Off while Eating: being present with your food helps to eat the ideal amount & digest better
- Screens Off while Driving: Cellphone off or in airplane mode and in back seat, completely out of reach to avoid “stoplight temptations”
- Optional Sunday Digital Detox: Cellular/Laptop Digital Detox on Sundays. Keep them off all day to subtract 10 bonus points. If you have to check-in, score a point for the number of times you did
Own an Air Tube Headset: if already have one or do order an Air Tube Headset during the challenge, subtract 10 bonus points. Amazon has them 2 for $25 or Dr. Mercola website (3 pack). How: There is no pass or fail here, just do your best and forgive yourself if you are not perfect. Its digital – so enter 0 for compliance (success) or 1 for non-compliance (failure) for the 5 main challenges.
In case of a tie in the Screens-Off 5 main challenges, the Optional Sunday Digital Detox & Air Tube Headset categories will be used to determine the winner.
Prize: Lowest score wins a LauraKissmannWellness Access Bars Treatment, one of my favourite treatments of all time – valued at $96! If you have not yet had the experience of having your bars run, check out this link in my website to see what it is: https://www.laurakissmannwellness.com/access-bars-treatment/
How to Rise to the Challenge: Personal Message (PM) me, email me email@example.com or comment to my business FB page post (LauraKissmannWellness) and I will send you the Excel Spreadsheet to track your progress.
Happy Digital Detoxing!!