My Dad gave me a Breville juicer years ago for my birthday after he attended one of the many alkaline workshops I hosted (with pH Microscopist Donna Porteous facilitating) and he learned of the benefits of drinking liquid vegetable food. Along with some of my lifetime special gifts like my skateboard, Walkman, handmade music box and more, that juicer joined this heartfelt list, albeit more practical than some of these. My Dad knew how much it meant to me.
I love my green juices but I could still juice more than I do. I have heard that juicing as a life practice can “add life to your years and years to your life”. After learning of the author of The pH Miracle, Dr. Robert Young’s (Ph.D., D.Sc.) success with juicing on many “sick and tired” individuals and verifying this with live and dried blood analysis, I was inspired. I reread his book “Sick and Tired” this summer that details some of these case studies. If his statement is true, “the human cell is only as healthy as the alkaline fluids it is bathed in”, juicing alkaline vegetables has a potential role to play in my clients’ health. What a better way to start my blog with furthering this understanding?
Is juicing even natural? I like to think of our teeth like a juicer. Monkeys and elephants chew on produce to get the fresh juice and spit the pulp out, so juicing in this sense, exists in nature.
That Vitamin Summit 2016 host Dr. Andrew W. Saul, Ph.D. (aka The Megavitamin Man,) strongly recommends juicing. I have listened to several of his interviews and Saul claims that, of all the advice he has given, juicing “does not fail”. He has had spectacular successes with his clients (more than Vitamin C, of which he is a huge proponent) with stories of health reversals including Rheumatoid Arthritis, blood in stool, psoriasis, etc. He even talks about his own juicing results with weight loss.
In a future blog, I will provide tips on HOW to drink a green juice. There is actually a lot more to this than meets the eye, including some contraindications. In the meantime, here is the WHY of green juices. Please stay tuned for the upcoming blogs to detail each one… (for the more curious like me).
10 Health Reasons to Drink Green Juice:
- Nutrition Overload
- Immunity Building
- Optimal Weight Management
10 Health Reasons to Drink Green Juice Explained …
# 1 – Detoxifying
It should come as no surprise that our environment (air, land and water) is currently more toxic than ever, be it from synthetic chemicals in our homes, some 10,000 food additives, heavy metals, acid rain, diesel, gas fumes, methane gas, etc. We need all the help we can get at the moment. Juice feasting (as opposed to fasting) is one way to help lower that toxic load. Loading up on green juices can help open our elimination pathways, detoxify heavy metals and change our extracellular fluid as follows:
- Opening Pathways: Although the juicing process removes the insoluble fibre, it still contains lots of soluble fibre and water so it helps increase visits to the bathroom in all forms – assisting two elimination pathways (urination and defecation). Even the skin will benefit by unloading it as an elimination pathway thereby reducing acne, eczema, rashes, psoriasis, etc.!
- Detoxifying Heavy Metals: Using herbs with juice like cilantro can help to detoxify heavy metals. A specific example: “A juice made with vegetables high in alkaline minerals such as celery and parsley can neutralize heavy metals in the lungs.”1
- Changing the Solution: Juicing could be thought of as your “oil change” in terms of how effective its cleansing ability is to help our bodies run. It helps improve “our terrain”, also known as our biological terrain, matrix, or milieu. It is mostly the intracellular fluid around each of our cells. Here is a classic example of the terrain theory of health and the power of detoxification:
“Detoxification is even more important to longevity than good nutrition. French physiologist Alexia Carrell kept pieces of chicken heart tissue alive in a solution containing the same mineral levels found in chicken blood plasma for twenty-eight years.2 The cells in the tissue stopped dividing and died out only when he stopped changing the solution, although he continued to place minerals in the solution in the same amount. The chicken heart cells, despite being provided with the necessary nutrients, could not carry on their metabolic activities because the fluid in which they were placed had become filled with acid wastes. The environment of the human body cannot be so easily purified as the test-tube environment of Carrell’s chicken heart tissue. The body’s detoxifying organs – liver, lymph, immune system, kidneys, and lungs – were not designed to neutralize synthetic chemicals and heavy metal contaminants that have found their way into the body in recent years.3”
Could juicing be a solution to help “change our solution”?
Bottom Line: Juicing cleanses on so many levels by helping to open up elimination pathways, pull heavy metals from our cells, and flood our terrain with a “clean” solution to prevent disease through detoxification.
Stay tuned for Reason #2 to Drink Green Juice – ALKALIZING.
Laura Kissmann, CD, BSc, R.H.N.
Registered Holistic Nutritionist
“Nothing tastes as good as healthy does”
- Felicia Drury Kliment, The Acid Alkaline Balance Diet 2010, pg. 4
- Sang Whang, Reverse Aging (Miami, FL: JSP Publishing, 1990)
- Felicia Drury Kliment, The Acid Alkaline Balance Diet 2010, pg. 3
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.